Poison Control & Other Resources
As a caring pet owner, you know how important it is to be prepared in case of an emergency. Here are some helpful resources that are a phone call or click away:
- Pet food and product recalls/alerts, available on the website of the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA).
- The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) is an excellent resource for any animal poison-related emergency. The APCC hotline (888) 426-4435, is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Their website has a searchable database for toxic plants, household products, etc., and tips on poison prevention.
- Make sure to download the official APCC free mobile app for quick access to information that could help save your pet’s life.
- Pet Health Network provides a wealth of information—all veterinarian-approved—on a wide variety of pet health topics.
- The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has a website that provides up-to-date information on zoonotic disease (diseases people can get from animals) and how keeping pets healthy helps keep their people healthy. Check it out here.
- Veterinary Partner provides various easy-to-read resources on common diseases in pets.
- Download the Red Cross Pet First Aid app for easily available first aid tips.
- If you need support in dealing with the loss of a furry-loved one, please call the ASPCA Grief Support’s Pet Loss Hotline at (877) GRIEF-10.