EMERGENCY SERVICES AVAILABLE AT BEVS
As Vermont’s leading emergency animal hospital, BEVS offers a full array of diagnostic and treatment services to give your pet the very best care when it’s needed most—any time, night or day.
Our 24-hour facility in Williston is equipped with lifesaving technology and supplies needed for managing all types of pet emergencies, and a doctor is on site at all times, supported by a dedicated emergency nursing staff.
Comprehensive ultrasounds are available Monday-Thursday with the Internal Medicine Department. Intensive care for critically ill pets, including advanced monitoring with dedicated, specially trained personnel overseeing each patient
The comprehensive emergency services we provide include:
- An in-house diagnostic laboratory for rapid test results
- A sophisticated digital radiography system that makes x-ray images available immediately, often reducing the need to sedate most patients for imaging. Plus, board-certified radiologists are available 24/7 to aid in interpretation if needed.
- FAST ultrasound (focused assessment with sonography for trauma), a rapid bedside ultrasound exam to screen for blood or fluid around the heart or abdominal organs after trauma, or identify tumors or foreign bodies. Comprehensive ultrasounds are available Monday–Thursday with the Internal Medicine Department.
- Emergency surgery for those instances where immediate intervention is necessary such as wound repair, GDV (bloat), intestinal foreign body removal, c-sections and several other abdominal surgeries.
- Endoscopy, a minimally invasive procedure using a tiny video camera attached to the end of a flexible or rigid tube that allows direct examination of inside hollow organs in order to find and extract foreign bodies.
- Toxicity treatment when a pet ingests a chemical or other potentially harmful substance, it’s critical to get them to a veterinarian immediately.
- Oxygen therapy for respiratory distress, which can escalate quickly. Our oxygen cage uses advanced technology to provide the proper level of oxygen, temperature & humidity for your pet while it is being stabilized.
- Transfusion therapy, used to treat such emergency conditions as trauma, heat stroke, parvovirus, auto-immune disease and certain poison ingestions. We stock units of packed red blood cells as well as frozen and fresh plasma for dogs and cats, ensuring the availability of these blood products at all times.
- Blood pressure monitoring, with two systems for monitoring: oscillometric and Doppler. The oscillometric system gathers computer generated readings, while the Doppler system uses an ultrasound crystal probe to detect blood pressure by the sound frequency changes heard. Our technical staff is skilled in both techniques and is able to provide doctors with timely updates on a patient’s blood pressure changes.
- Intensive care for critically ill pets, including advanced monitoring with dedicated, specially trained personnel overseeing each patient.