Burlington Emergency & Veterinary Specialists » Holiday pet safety https://bevsvt.com Fri, 13 Oct 2017 15:58:33 +0000 en-US hourly 1 http://wordpress.org/?v=4.1.19 ‘TIS THE SEASON…SANTA PAWS!https://bevsvt.com/2015/tis-the-seasonsanta-paws/ https://bevsvt.com/2015/tis-the-seasonsanta-paws/#comments Mon, 21 Dec 2015 20:46:21 +0000 http://bevsvt.com/?p=1879 BY DR. GARRETT LEVIN, DVM, Diplomate ACVS

The holiday season is upon us, and many pet parents plan to include their furry companions in the festivities.  As you gear up for the holidays, it is important to try to keep your pet’s eating and exercise habits as close to their normal routine as possible.  Also, please be sure to steer pets clear of the following unhealthy treats, toxic plants and dangerous decorations:

Oh, Christmas Tree: Securely anchor your Christmas tree so it doesn’t tip and fall causing possible injury to your pet. This will also prevent the tree water—which may contain fertilizers that can cause stomach upset—from spilling. Stagnant tree water is a breeding ground for bacteria – if ingested could cause nausea or diarrhea.  In addition, avoid putting aspirin in the water (some people do this thinking it will keep the tree more vigorous).  Aspirin-laced water can be life threatening.

Avoid Mistletoe & Holly: Holly and Poinsettias, when ingested, can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.  Mistletoe can cause gastrointestinal upset and cardiovascular problems.  Varieties of lilies can cause kidney failure in cats if ingested.  Instead choose artificial plants made from silk or plastic, or choose a pet-safe bouquet.

Tinsel-less Town: Kitties love this sparkly, light-catching “toy” that’s easy to bat around and carry in their mouths. But a nibble can lead to a swallow, which can lead to an obstructed digestive tract, severe vomiting, dehydration and possible surgery.

That Holiday Glow: Don’t leave lit candles unattended.  Pets may burn themselves or cause a fire if they knock the candles over.  Be sure to use appropriate candle holders placed on a stable surface.  If you leave the room – put the candle out!

Wired Up: Keep wires, batteries and glass or plastic ornaments out of paws’ reach.  A wire can deliver a potentially lethal electrical shock (especially if chewed on) and a punctured battery can cause burns to the mouth and esophagus.  Shards of breakable ornaments can damage your pet’s mouth and digestive tract.

Beautiful Decorations: Keep other ornaments out of reach of pets.  Ingestion of any ornament, which might look like toys to pets can result in life-threatening emergencies and require emergency surgery to remove from the gastrointestinal tract.  Pine needles, when ingested, can puncture holes in a pet’s intestine.  So keep pet areas clear of pine needles.

 

Christmas Morning Presents: Put away toys after children open their gifts.  Small plastic pieces and rubber balls are common causes of choking and intestinal blockage in dogs.  Ingested plastic or cloth toys must often be removed surgically.

Provide your pets with a place to hide: Many pets get nervous, shy and scared around people that they are not familiar with.  A spare bedroom, office or basement with your pets’ favorite toys and food is a good idea during holiday gatherings.

]]>
https://bevsvt.com/2015/tis-the-seasonsanta-paws/feed/ 0
Holiday Feast and Your Petshttps://bevsvt.com/2015/holiday-feast-and-your-pets/ https://bevsvt.com/2015/holiday-feast-and-your-pets/#comments Fri, 30 Oct 2015 13:45:28 +0000 http://bevsvt.com/?p=1867 BY Dr. Garrett Levin, DVM, Diplomate ACVS

As the holiday season draws near, we look forward to celebrating with family and friends.  Our homes fill with the wonderful scents of indulgent food and treats.  As tasty as these foods are for us, they can be problematic for dogs.

Dietary indiscretion describes gastrointestinal upset that occurs when a dog ingests something that its body cannot tolerate causing irritation and inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract.  The most common cause is when animals get into the trash or are fed people food (“table scraps”).

Most cases of dietary indiscretion are mild and do not have lasting consequences.  However, some dogs can suffer severe illness that require more intensive treatment.  Pancreatitis is a painful and sometimes life threatening condition resulting from severe inflammation of the pancreas.  Dogs that consume non digestible items (such as bones) can develop intestinal obstructions or perforations that are surgical emergencies.

Common clinical signs of dietary indiscretion:

  • Diarrhea – small amounts of blood may be noted in the feces
  • Loss of appetite and nausea
  • Vomit
  • Lethargy
  • Loud intestinal noises
  • Pacing, panting, whining, or showing other signs of abdominal pain and discomfort

Many cases of dietary indiscretion are diagnosed based on symptoms and physical examination by a veterinarian.  In severe cases, veterinarians may perform blood and fecal tests, perform abdominal radiographs (x-rays) and abdominal ultrasound (sonogram), as well as other diagnostics to rule out other concurrent abnormalities associated with the clinical signs.

Many mild cases of dietary indiscretion resolve if the dog is fed a special, easily digestible diet “bland diets” such as boiled chicken and rice.  More severe cases of dietary indiscretion can result in dehydration and require hospitalization.  Please consult with your primary veterinarian if the clinical signs do not quickly resolve on their own.  If your primary veterinarian is closed, please call Burlington Emergency and Veterinary Specialists (BEVS) at (802) 863-2387.  BEVS is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year to advise you on the appropriate actions with regards to your pet’s symptoms.

Here are some additional tips how to keep your pet safe this time of year during your holiday feast:

  • Keep garbage in a secure container
  • Keep food in the cupboard or refrigerator
  • Don’t leave food on the counter or table
  • Don’t feed your pet people food (“table scraps”).
  • Don’t give your pet bones to chew on
]]>
https://bevsvt.com/2015/holiday-feast-and-your-pets/feed/ 0