Burlington Emergency & Veterinary Specialists » Foreign body ingestion https://bevsvt.com Fri, 13 Oct 2017 15:58:33 +0000 en-US hourly 1 http://wordpress.org/?v=4.1.19 Emergency Tips for Petshttps://bevsvt.com/2015/emergency-instructions/ https://bevsvt.com/2015/emergency-instructions/#comments Fri, 20 Feb 2015 18:47:44 +0000 http://bevsvt.com/?p=1649 If you are concerned or unsure if your pet needs emergency care, please call us at (802) 863-2387.  If your dog or cat ingested something poisonous please call your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline at 800-213-6680 for help immediately! The sooner a dog poisoning or cat poisoning is diagnosed, the easier, less expensive, and safer it is for your pet to get treated!

Seek emergency care immediately in these situations:

  • Unconsciousness, collapse or extreme lethargy
  • Suspected ingestion of a foreign body, harmful chemicals, human medications, or toxic plants
  • Trouble breathing
  • Trauma from fall or hit by moving vehicle
  • Extreme pain causing whining or shaking
  • Swollen and tense abdomen
  • Straining to urinate
  • Hemorrhage
  • Disorientation or seizures
  • Uncontrolled or prolonged vomiting and/or diarrhea
  • Prolonged straining without delivery of puppies or kittens

 

What to do if your dog or cat is poisoned:

  • Remove your pet from the area.
  • Check to make sure your pet is safe: breathing and acting normally.
  • Do NOT give any home antidotes.
  • Do NOT induce vomiting without consulting a vet or Pet Poison Helpline.
  • Call Pet Poison Helpline at 800-213-6680.
  • If veterinary attention is necessary, contact your veterinarian or emergency veterinary clinic immediately.

 

First Aid Kits for Dogs—5 Key Items to Pack

  1. Saline – This is used to flush out wounds when dirt or debris is present. You may use the bottle alone, or carry a syringe without a needle to apply the saline.  Saline is sold over the counter.
  2. Triple Antibiotic Ointment -This may be used for minor scrapes and cuts that your pet may encounter. A common one used is over the counter Bacitracin.  Do not allow your pet to lick the ointment off of the cut or scrape.
  3. Gauze and Wrap – If your pet gets a cut that is bleeding, it is important to be able to control it until you are able to get to a veterinarian. Gauze is a soft material that you may place over the bleeding wound to help control the bleeding. A soft wrap (such as vet wrap) is then applied to keep the gauze in place. The vet wrap sticks to itself so that it stays on, but not to your pet’s fur. They will love you extra when it’s time to remove the wrap. When wrapping, make sure to place a thumb or finger underneath the wrap to ensure that you are not wrapping too tight.
  4.  Fresh Hydrogen Peroxide – This is not to be used for cleaning , but rather to induce vomiting if your pet ingests something toxic. ALWAYS consult with your veterinarian or poison control center before giving your dog Peroxide. In some cases, vomiting should NOT be induced (such as ingestion of Kerosene, sharp objects or many other chemicals)
  5. Muzzle – When dogs injure themselves, they are painful and this may cause them to want to bite. It doesn’t mean that you have a mean dog, just that he/she is telling you that they hurt. A muzzle will help to prevent bites to you and/or helpers.
]]>
https://bevsvt.com/2015/emergency-instructions/feed/ 0
Finding troublehttps://bevsvt.com/2011/findingtrouble/ https://bevsvt.com/2011/findingtrouble/#comments Mon, 31 Oct 2011 13:39:21 +0000 http://placehostingcompany.com/bevs/?p=542 Bogey*, a big, funny golden retriever, wasn’t quite acting like herself. She was sleeping for most of the day and didn’t have her usual enthusiastic appetite. When she wouldn’t chase her tennis ball, her owners knew something was wrong. They took her to the vet, who performed an abdominal x-ray on Bogey and saw the problem immediately: a round, spherical object stuck in the dog’s stomach. The vet sent Bogie and her family to BEVS right away to get it out.

At BEVS, we put Bogey under a general anesthesia to make her more comfortable. To remove the object, we used an endoscope, which is a long, flexible tube with a camera and light on one end that allows us to see inside an animal’s stomach, throat, colon, and bladder. We use it to perform biopsies, insert feeding tubes, or in this case, remove foreign objects without surgery. The scope revealed that Bogey had eaten a golf ball. Not only was it important to remove the ball before it blocked her intestine, but golf balls also contain lead and zinc that are toxic to dogs. Using the scope to see, we eased a Playtex baby bottle insert into the stomach and guided the bottle insert over the golf ball. Once the ball was securely within the bag, we carefully removed it. The whole procedure took less than 30 minutes and Bogey was on her way to feeling a whole lot better. 

We’ve seen both puppies and adult dogs swallow a lot of interesting things over the years, from fish hooks and sewing needles to coins, bottle caps, bones, squeekers from toys, corn cobs, and more. Socks are especially popular. If your dog seems to have lost his appetite, has vomiting or diarrhea, or is acting particularly lethargic, he may have swallowed something when you weren’t looking. Get your pup to your veterinarian as soon as possible, where he or she can determine if the symptoms are being caused by an inappropriate snack or something else.

* Name has been changed to protect the dog’s privacy

 

written by Dr. Bryan Harnett, DACVIM

]]>
https://bevsvt.com/2011/findingtrouble/feed/ 0