Burlington Emergency & Veterinary Specialists » toxicity http://bevsvt.com Mon, 26 Jun 2017 16:39:47 +0000 en-US hourly 1 http://wordpress.org/?v=4.1.18 Emergency Tips for Petshttp://bevsvt.com/2015/emergency-instructions/ http://bevsvt.com/2015/emergency-instructions/#comments Fri, 20 Feb 2015 18:47:44 +0000 http://bevsvt.com/?p=1649 If you are concerned or unsure if your pet needs emergency care, please call us at (802) 863-2387.  If your dog or cat ingested something poisonous please call your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline at 800-213-6680 for help immediately! The sooner a dog poisoning or cat poisoning is diagnosed, the easier, less expensive, and safer it is for your pet to get treated!

Seek emergency care immediately in these situations:

  • Unconsciousness, collapse or extreme lethargy
  • Suspected ingestion of a foreign body, harmful chemicals, human medications, or toxic plants
  • Trouble breathing
  • Trauma from fall or hit by moving vehicle
  • Extreme pain causing whining or shaking
  • Swollen and tense abdomen
  • Straining to urinate
  • Hemorrhage
  • Disorientation or seizures
  • Uncontrolled or prolonged vomiting and/or diarrhea
  • Prolonged straining without delivery of puppies or kittens

 

What to do if your dog or cat is poisoned:

  • Remove your pet from the area.
  • Check to make sure your pet is safe: breathing and acting normally.
  • Do NOT give any home antidotes.
  • Do NOT induce vomiting without consulting a vet or Pet Poison Helpline.
  • Call Pet Poison Helpline at 800-213-6680.
  • If veterinary attention is necessary, contact your veterinarian or emergency veterinary clinic immediately.

 

First Aid Kits for Dogs—5 Key Items to Pack

  1. Saline – This is used to flush out wounds when dirt or debris is present. You may use the bottle alone, or carry a syringe without a needle to apply the saline.  Saline is sold over the counter.
  2. Triple Antibiotic Ointment -This may be used for minor scrapes and cuts that your pet may encounter. A common one used is over the counter Bacitracin.  Do not allow your pet to lick the ointment off of the cut or scrape.
  3. Gauze and Wrap – If your pet gets a cut that is bleeding, it is important to be able to control it until you are able to get to a veterinarian. Gauze is a soft material that you may place over the bleeding wound to help control the bleeding. A soft wrap (such as vet wrap) is then applied to keep the gauze in place. The vet wrap sticks to itself so that it stays on, but not to your pet’s fur. They will love you extra when it’s time to remove the wrap. When wrapping, make sure to place a thumb or finger underneath the wrap to ensure that you are not wrapping too tight.
  4.  Fresh Hydrogen Peroxide – This is not to be used for cleaning , but rather to induce vomiting if your pet ingests something toxic. ALWAYS consult with your veterinarian or poison control center before giving your dog Peroxide. In some cases, vomiting should NOT be induced (such as ingestion of Kerosene, sharp objects or many other chemicals)
  5. Muzzle – When dogs injure themselves, they are painful and this may cause them to want to bite. It doesn’t mean that you have a mean dog, just that he/she is telling you that they hurt. A muzzle will help to prevent bites to you and/or helpers.
]]>
http://bevsvt.com/2015/emergency-instructions/feed/ 0
Pets and Garden Veggieshttp://bevsvt.com/2014/pets-garden-veggies/ http://bevsvt.com/2014/pets-garden-veggies/#comments Tue, 22 Jul 2014 13:55:19 +0000 http://bevsvt.com/?p=1558 How does your garden grow? Silver bells? Cockle shells? Ours doesn’t have any of these either, but with all the great sun and shots of rain here and there, it is showing great promise for some yummy vegetables. Some vegies can be good for your pets too, but we wanted to list a few common garden plants that are toxic and to keep your pet away from–

Bulb Veggies: The basic rule of thumb is if a vegetable grows as an underground bulb, keep it out of Fido’s bowl. Onions, chives and leeks contain a chemical that can break down your dog’s red blood cells.
Garlic contains the same chemical, but in smaller amounts. Some dog foods and treats contain very low doses of garlic, which are generally considered safe by most veterinarians.
Potato and Tomato Plants: These two vegetables themselves are safe to eat, but the leaves and stems of the plants are very toxic to dogs.
Rhubarb: The leaves and stalk of the rhubarb are the toxic parts. Both the stalk and leaves contain oxalate crystals (although the leaves are more toxic), which deplete the calcium in the dog’s body.
Mushrooms: For dogs, all mushrooms are on the unsafe list.

You and your pet can both enjoy carrots, green beans, broccoli, and cucumbers! (In small amounts, cut up in bite- size portions)

Written By Aimee Gilfillan

]]>
http://bevsvt.com/2014/pets-garden-veggies/feed/ 0
Xylitol Toxicosishttp://bevsvt.com/2012/774/ http://bevsvt.com/2012/774/#comments Thu, 27 Sep 2012 12:48:19 +0000 http://bevsvt.com/?p=774  You come home from a long day at work and your 2 year old chocolate lab, Miss Moneypenny, greets you enthusiastically at the door. You place your purse and keys on the table and set off to make some dinner. When you return 15 minutes later, the purse and its contents are scattered on the living room rug. After assessing the damage, you realize that young Miss Moneypenny has in fact eaten almost an entire package of sugar-free gum. At first, you think nothing of it, but then you remember hearing something about sugar-free gum posing a danger to dogs.  After spending a few minutes on the internet, you discover that the sugar-free gum that your lab has eaten contains an ingredient called xylitol. The internet says that xylitol is potentially very dangerous for dogs, though yours appears to be just fine at the moment. What should you do? Do you really have to bring her all the way to an emergency clinic? Since xylitol is an ingredient in many commonplace foods and candies, it’s important for every pet owner to know some basic facts.

 Xylitol is a sugar alcohol sweetener that can be found not only in many brands of sugarless gum, but also in some types of baked goods. It can even be purchased in bulk quantities for baking purposes. Humans use xylitol instead of regular sugar because it is absorbed more slowly and is therefore thought to be a safer alternative for diabetics. Xylitol is also favored as an additive in sugar-free gum because some studies have shown that it is less likely to cause cavities. While it is harmless to humans, xylitol can pose a serious risk to animals. When a toxic amount of xylitol is eaten by a dog, large amounts of insulin are released. In health, insulin is responsible for absorbing sugar from the bloodstream for storage. However, when a large amount of insulin is released suddenly, this can cause the blood sugar to drop to dangerous levels, causing weakness, confusion, a wobbly gait and even seizures.  Since xylitol is absorbed rapidly, clinical signs are often, though not always, noticed within 10-30 minutes after ingestion. Xylitol has also been shown to be irritating to the liver and has the potential to cause serious liver injury. For dogs, an ingestion of 0.1 grams of xylitol per kilogram of body weight is generally considered to be a toxic amount. The amount found in sugar-free gum can vary widely from 0.1 gram to 2 grams per piece depending on the brand and flavor. Many times, the packaging for gum and other products that include xylitol does not specify the amount that has been added.

 If you suspect that your dog has ingested a substance that contains xylitol, the first step is to contact your veterinarian or a nearby emergency facility. A veterinary professional can first help you to figure out if your dog has ingested enough xylitol to pose a problem.  If that is the case, you should bring your dog in for evaluation due to the potential for serious side effects.  In many cases, the veterinarian will administer a medication to induce vomiting and decrease further absorption of the toxin. They will also recommend checking bloodwork to evaluate blood sugar and liver enzymes. In serious cases, hospitalization with IV fluids and observation may be required. As with any toxicity, the best solution is prevention. If you have a dog, taking simple measures to prevent access to foods that contain xylitol is the best way to prevent an emergency visit.

  If you ever have a concern your pet may have ingested xylitol or any other toxin, the staff at Burlington Emergency and Veterinary Specialists can be reached by phone at 802-863-2387.

 

-Dr. Rachel Morgan

]]>
http://bevsvt.com/2012/774/feed/ 0