200 Commerce Street | Williston, VT 05495
1. Bread dough
If your pet ingests unbaked bread dough, contact your veterinarian immediately. When hosted in a warm environment (your pet’s stomach) the yeast will begin to expand which can lead to a bloated stomach. This can then progress to a gastric-dilitation volvulus (GDV), which is a twisted stomach. Watch for signs of drooling, vomiting, retching and an extended abdomen.
2. Liquid Potpourri: Cat Owners Beware
Even a few licks of liquid potpourri can result in severe chemical burns in the mouth and throat. They may also develop a fever have difficulty breathing, and have tremors. Dogs are not as sensitive, but it’s better to be safe than sorry so make sure your using non-toxic substances to keep your house fragrant this holiday season.
3. Imported Snow Globes
Recently, imported snow globes were found to contain antifreeze (ethylene glycol). One to two tablespoons can be fatal to a dog or cat so make sure to keep these snow globes in a safe place and clean up any spills immediately. Antifreeze has a sweet taste so animals (and children) are drawn to its aroma.
Many people think poinsettias are the holiday plant to avoid but beware of lilies. If cats lick or ingest small amounts, it can be fatal. Decorate your house with roses or orchids, cat-safe alternatives.
5. Grapes, raisins, macadamia nuts (often found in trail mixes, cookies and candy)
Grape and raisin ingestion has been linked to kidney failure in dogs. The exact cause of kidney failure is unknown and the amount they need to ingest can vary from pet to pet. Macadamia nut toxicosis is rare in dogs but can cause uncomfortable symptoms for up to 48 hours. Signs may include hind end weakness, tremors and a fever.
If you see your pet get into any of the items listed above, please contact your veterinarian immediately.